Mission:To develop the image industry by creating opportunities
in all relevant fields
Vision: A dynamic image industry
WHO WE ARE
The Mauritius Film Development
Corporation (MFDC) was set up in August 1986 (Act no. 31 of 1986)
and is under the aegis of the Ministry of Arts and Culture.
Its budget is fully funded by Government.
The objectives of the Corporation as enunciated in the Act are:
• to import, export, exhibit and produce films;
• to establish relationship with foreign and international
persons or bodies for the promotion of film activities;
• to hold or promote the holding of film show festivals to
cater for the cultural and linguistic needs of the people of Mauritius;
• to give such assistance, financial or otherwise, as the
Board may determine to persons or bodies engaged in the productions
or exhibition of films.
The objective of the Corporation
is to facilitate the Development of the Film Industry with the aim
of serving foreign film crews and generate revenue by renting out
heavy duty film shooting equipment.
There are 3 main areas:
1. One Stop Shop
2. Production Development
3. Audience Development
To achieve its mission, 7 key
objectives have been defined for the sector and a strategy for film
development. These objectives have equal priority.
1. To develop and promote Mauritius as a prime filmmaking destination;
2. to develop and promote the local film and audiovisual industry
both domestically and internationally
3. to encourage the development of audiences for films;
4. to support and stimulate public participation in film and audiovisual;
5. to increase opportunities for children and young people to engage
6. to build capacity in the film and audiovisual sector;
7. to support the professional filmmakers in developing their practice.